SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER

Hi there! I’m Samantha,

and this space encompasses my personal milestones made beautiful in His time. Combining my flair for easy-to-read writing and my love for photography, here you'll find me sharing the thing I'm most passionate about - travel, food, fashion and my conversations with God.

*P.S when God was blessing others with the gift of height, He left me out realizing that great things come in tiny packages, so instead I am gifted with endless energy and a big wide smile to get through difficult times.

Forever & always, a child of God. Through this cozy little virtual haven, I hope each post inspires at least someone out there with my life stories.

Are you planning your next event?

There’s always something for everyone at Temptations Cakes, let us celebrate your next special event (be it a birthday party, baby's first month, wedding, christmas, you name it!) and create lovely memories with you.


Browse our beautiful selection

REASONS FOR RUNNING BSC ELECTIONS AY 10/11

Why am I running?
It's a deep question, but it's important & fundamental.

As a freshie, I was inspired by the previous batch of maincomms. It was the family feeling that you know you have people to back you up no mater what.

As time pass, I thought getting into a comm = politics, yes, there will always be. You can't run away from it. Personally, I'm not one who likes politics, I prefer the family feel. Even if I act like a bitch on somedays, I feel it's wrong after all.

Then came the Student Leadership Program, I needed to be a maincomm for something somewhere to fulfill the 'Leadership Role' part. Immediately, I thought of BSC. If I had to commit or spend hours to do something, it should be something I'm passionate about & why serve other clubs when I'm in Business right?! I tried for Business Interest Group, on a smaller scale, thinking it would be much easier. The teachers and students were quite impressed with my previous credentials however during the interview, their last question was 'If you could choose between BSC & BIG, which would you choose?' I said BSC, even through I was in a BIG Interview. I also said I wouldn't mind being in both (But they think it's hard for me to cope cause 1 commitment is tough already), eventually, they let me go try for greater things because I guess they believed in me.

So, that was the defining moment for me.

I decided I would run for BSC.
It wasn't a one-day thing. It was a on-going continuous thing...
Then came TP CLIQUERS call.
I was offered a Maincomm role to do Public Relations.
I was so tempted to take up the offer. Afterall, like BIG, it's less politics & yes, I could just settle my SLP right? Instead, I told them straight away, 'Sure, but I intend to run for BSC'. Because, I was thinking deep down in my heart, imagine it's open house, I guess I'll still want to go 'COME Business School!' & if I'm in TPC Maincomm, I wouldn't be able to do.

After saying that, I knew myself. I knew that me running for BSC this year, isn't for fame, isn't for my SLP, it's for the love for business, to represent the school, the 'family' feel and the feel of being in a comm. ONE comm I call my own, ONE comm that I would be proud of.

Given the opportunity, I would be honoured to represent the student community.

I'm a workaholic only for things I'm passionate about.

From serving as President of Entrepreneur Club & Member of Drama & Debate Club in CHIJ Katong Convent, I believe very much in servant leadership and treating others fairly. I never believe at forcing others to do work, because even if they do it, they won't be happy & no one is able to produce quality work when they are not passionate to do so.

I am very loyal to the things I do. As much as I would like to give up, I wouldn't. Because, I don't want to disappoint people who believe in me. I would appreciate the opportunity to show, I am very passionate about serving the school.

In my term in BSC as a Subcomm, I managed to help out in various events organised by the current committee, staring from BSC Annual General Meeting (AGM) to Sub Comm Camp to the last event, Vibe Life. I would also like to thank the current comm for giving me a chance to experience being a Main Comm for Smile A Wish (SAW) Event, being in Sponsorship Department & Assistant Diploma Head Leader (ADHL) for BSG for the biggest Business Event annually, WEEK 0 Orientation AY10/11!

All of these have inspirited me to do greater things!

___________________________________________________________

There are four things I want to achieve and stand for are represented by the acronym ‘S.A.M.W.’

They are:
• SPEAKING to & for students
• ATTEMPT Change
• MANAGE balanced student life
• WILLING to face challenges ahead


SPEAKING to & for students
This may sound cliche. But, for me, I will make sure I communicate to the students & not give them the 'I'm a higher rank than you' kinda feel. It is about allowing others to interact with you without feeling scared or whatsoever. I will be open to changes, through I know that in the end after taking all their voices into consideration, we have to be the ones making the final decision. Or else, listening too much will drag things on & get nowhere. It's about striking a balance.

Honestly, if you think of it, are the students’ interests represented when key decisions are made? And when decisions are made, are we entitled to voice our concerns? Or are we expected to just follow follow follow?

ATTEMPT Change
It's always a norm, a standard template. I want to see how I can use my concept of how things are done, to change certain things. Hopefully, to improve them. Do things that noone else ever though of, create an impact. Aspire to Inspire.

For example, have you ever thought, why same events, why same faces, why same culture, why same camp? It's good but how about accepting some change, maybe? Something meaningful not all about having fun.

MANAGE a Balanced Student Life.
Granted, it is not the typical ‘promise’ to the student community, it is high time this common (mis)conception that GPA and CCA are mutually exclusive is broken. If you excel at one, it is not necessarily true that the other will inevitably suffer. It is, undoubtedly, a challenge and I believe in challenging by choice. I want to be that example and show it can be done.

I don't believe that being a maincomm, I can't do well in my studies, I can't do well in my spiritual walk with God. It's not a guarantee but at least I'm determine to at least TRY. I will try my best & leave the rest to God. If he puts me to do something, he will put me through it.

When I run, I already know the commitments I will have to make, so I have to abide by them and not use BSC as an excuse if I can't fulfill other commitments I have on hand.

I think I'm one of the busiest woman. I have so many things under my belt, right now, handing *SCAPE Ambassador Competition, Singapore Can Speak Ambassador Church, School, Family & Friends, CCAs etc (Just to name a few). But I believe, if there's a way there's a will!

WILLING to Face Challenges Ahead.
It will not be easy. It will not be a bed of roses. I know it.

I have no idea how things are run. It may not be how I expected it to be. But, I'm willing to learn, to learn from my seniors, the ones who know the know-hows about the club because they have been around and they know more things than me, of course.

Running the events and throughout the year, we will be in 'public eyes'. Sure, people will start to criticize you for whatever reasons, but that's something we have to bear with & try to minimize it by proving to them that you can do things the next time round. At least we took the plunge of courage and tried.

It's not as easy as A-B-C nor like Secondary School. But, it will be a good learning experience & a good training ground. I'm ready to conquer the challenges ahead. We must have the courage & the guts to do things! After all, it's once in a lifetime!

What are my concerns?

Of course I have concerns, many in fact! I wanna do so much things, but some things are just not what I can control.

& Yes, I'm human after all.
I'm not your perfect little girl who is a do-it-all.
I know myself, I'm far from that.

I may seem confident when I do things (I don't like doing things I'm not sure of) but it's on the surface sometimes. Deep down, I may be freaking out cause I don't know how the outcome will be like. Take the leap of faith, Sam, I tell myself.

I tell others not to worry, nothing is impossible. Because, before I say that, I will tell myself, Why worry? Spend the time Praying instead! It's just a day, just smile, don't waste it by worrying or crying. Brace up, Face it Sam! It's a matter of time.

We all have things that bother us or working situations that we don't particularly enjoy. I've learn that it's important to recognize what your issues are so that you don't have to confront the same matters over & over again.

It's really tough, but I'm really wanna embark on this journey.
TOGETHER WITH YOU, TOGETHER AS ONE!

No comments

Post a Comment

© S A M A N T H A • Theme by Maira G.